The Turton Local Board remained in existence until 30th September 1898, when the name of the local board was changed to Turton Urban Distrct Council. By the provisions of the Bolton, Turton, and Westhoughton Extension Act, 1898, the Bolton Rural District Council was dissolved, and its district was transferred to the Borough of Bolton, and the Urban Districts of Turton and Westhoughton, the portion being added to Turton being Belmont, Bradshaw, Edgworth, Entwistle, Harwood, Longworth and Quarlton.
The Act also abolished the Townships of Bradshaw, Harwood, Longworth and Quarlton; Bradshaw, Harwood and Longworth being added to the Township of Turton; Entwisle and Quarlton to the Township of Edgworth.
By an Order of the Lancashire County Council dated 7th October 1924, the Townships of Belmont, Edgworth and Turton were united, and now form the parish of Turton.
|Turton Urban District|
(from Turton Official Guide, 1957)
Viewing tip: To view higher resolution versions of these maps, press 'ctrl' while clicking on the image, so that the map is opened in a new tab. You can then click on the map in the new tab to toggle the magnification to maximum.
The map below is taken from Reginald Dart's 1949 "A Town Plan for the Urban District of Turton", and shows the proposed development and green belt areas.
|Turton Urban District - Suggested Green Belt 1946|
The next plan shows Bolton Union in 1911, showing Edgworth, Belmont and Turton townships (including Turton's constituent wards: Egerton Chapeltown & Longworth, Bromley Cross & Eagley and Bradshaw).
|Bolton Union - Township, Parish and Wards 1911|
The map below is also of Bolton, this time from 1929. It shows residential, industrial and business zones, existing and proposed public open spaces, as well as existing and new roads.
|Bolton and District Town Planning Scheme (1929)|
The Book of Bolton (Hamer / Sparke)