TURTON LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
1. TitleThe Society shall be called the 'Turton Local History Society'.
2. PurposeThe aim of the Society shall be to promote a general interest in history and particularly in the local history of Turton District, comprising the ancient Townships of Bradshaw, Entwistle, Harwood, Longworth, Qualton and Turton by discussion, research and record.
3. MembershipMembership shall be open to all
4. Executive CommitteeThere shall be a Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Librarian, Publications Secretary and five or more committee members, each of whom shall be elected for a term of office of one year at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). The affairs of the Society shall be managed by these officers and committee of which four shall constitute a quorum. The committee shall have a power to co-opt additional members or to appoint sub-committees and will meet as and when required.
5. MeetingsOrdinary Meetings are to be held at suitable intervals and places to be decided by the Executive Committee. Guests at meetings shall be required to pay a nominal fee to be decided at the AGM.
6. Annual General MeetingThis shall take place in November of each year. Any Extraordinary General Meeting shall, at the written request of five members, be called by the Secretary giving two weeks notice. Voting at all meetings shall be by show of hands if so determined. In the event of an even vote the Chairman shall have the casting vote.
7. FinanceAn auditor shall be appointed by the Executive Committee. A Statement of Accounts for the year shall be prepared, audited and presented at the AGM. Bankers for the Society shall be determined by the committee.
8. SubscriptionAll members shall pay an annual fee to be reviewed and agreed at the AGM each year.
9. AssetsThe Executive Committee shall, in the event of winding up the Society, pay any surplus funds to charities as the Committee shall, at its discretion, decide.
10. AmendmentsAmendments to the Constitution and Rules may only be made at an Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting by a two thirds majority vote of members present at the meetings.
Originally confirmed at an Extraordinary General Meeting held on 18/05/1999, with amendments at Annual General Meetings held on 25/01/2012, 24/01/2019 and 22/09/2021.