Upcoming Talk - September 2021
7.30pm at Harwood Methodist Community Hall, Longsight
Wednesday 22nd September 2021
Speaker: Stephen Tonge
AGM, followed by an examination of the evidence for where the Bromley Cross may once have stood, looking at a number of clues left in Bob Walch's research notes.
|Section of map of the manor of Turton (1830).|
Before railway line was built.
Bromley Cross labelled at the junction of
what is now Shady Lane and Turton Road.
Notes from meeting:-
For reference, these were the main source documents presented:-
- 1752 Turton manor court records (page 31)
- 1793 to 1807 James Brandwood Account Book (map)
- 1797 James Brandwood's map of Turton and surrounding area (BA ZAL1342)
- 1830 Plan of the Manor of Turton (TNA MR1/1057)
- 1831 Plan of land in in Turton belonging to Miss Anna Sophia Greene (LA DDX84)
- 1848 Plan of land in Turton property of Henry James Hoare (BA ZSH/23/7)
- c1850 Plan of land in Turton property of George Matthew Hoare, copied 1865 (BA ZSH/23/5)
- 1850 OS Map (Surveyed 1844 – 1847. Published 1850)