Walter Pilling of Eagley established Capsall Cycle Works in the late 1890s. He lived on Hough Lane and had formerly been a master clogger. Articles in the Bolton Evening News report that he was regarded as something of an expert in brakes, and that cycles and brakes produced by Capsall were highly regarded by other cycle manufacturers, not just locally.
He had on the market an auxiliary brake, which was applied from the switch on the top bar, like the switches utilised for change-gears. Once the brake was switched on it could be left alone until the foot of the hill was reached.
These photographs of the inside of Capsall Cycle Works were included in a 1909 booklet the History of Turton Foolball Club and Souvenir of Carnival & Sports.
|Corner of Plating Room|
|Capsall Cycle Works Advertisement|
Cricket & Football Field, 1909