The Delph Reservoir was intended to be the first of five new reservoirs, but was the only one of them which was ever built. In 1908 it was intended that the whole project would take five years and cost £250,000. Unexpected difficulties arose, including the First World War. The price rose to £400,000 and the reservoir was finally almost ready for use in 1921.
More information about the Delph and Belmont reservoirs, as well as the various mills and bleachworks in the Eagley Valley, can be found in our publication #16 Eagley Brook. Additional detail about the disputes between Bolton Corporation and Edward Deakin regarding the purchase of land for the reservoir can be found in our publication #38 Egerton.
|Programme of the proceedings on|
the opening of Delph Reservoir
|Delph Reservoir, looking Southward.|
Residuum Lodge in foreground.
|Order of Proceedings|
|Delph Reservoir, looking Westward.|
Byewash Channel in foreground
engineers and contractors