Strictly speaking, Barrow Bridge is "out of area" for Turton Local History Society, but we thought this set of images from our archives was worth sharing.
Historically, the Barrow Bridge area was part of the township of Halliwell in the ancient parish of Deane. In 1830 Thomas Bazley and Richard Gardner bought and demolished the old Lords Mill there, replacing it with Dean Mills. They created a model village for the mill workers on the hill top accessed by a flight of stone steps, with rows of cottages, a shop and an educational institute.
These photographs were taken by Helen Heyes on the 14th October 1976, and scanned in 2020 as part of a project to digitise the Turton Local History Society slide archive.