A short article, taken from TLHS Newsletter No. 94 (April 2017)
The following document, written on parchment and enclosed in a bottle, was deposited in the brickwork of the foundations of Birtenshaw House when it was rebuilt in 1867:-
On this spot there was erected, about three centuries ago, a dwelling house which, in the year 1624, was described as the Mansion House and Tenement of Birtenshaw, held from the Lord of the Manor, John Orrell Esq. of Turton Tower. Afterwards it became occupied by John Battersby, and from him descended to his grandchildren, of the family of the Ashworths, of Little Oaks. From that time to the present the above-named residence and tenement have remained in the occupation of the successive generations of the Ashworth families
During the present year (1867) it was ascertained that the dilapidations of the house were very extensive, and of such a nature as to involve the necessity of rebuilding. The owner, George Binns Ashworth, son of Henry and Letitia Ashworth, having fully considered the requirings of comfort for his family, decided to have the ancient edifice before described, entirely taken down and destroyed, and he has erected on the same site the present more commodious and substantial dwelling.
Signed by Henry Ashworth, Letitia Ashworth, George Binns Ashworth.
Freeman and Cunliffe, Architects, Bolton