Sunday, 10 November 2019

New Publication - Egerton

We have released our 38th publication today, this one about the village of Egerton.

Priced at £10, it is available to buy through the following outlets:

Crabtrees (222 Blackburn Rd, Egerton,  BL7 9SR)
Egerton News (257 Blackburn Road, Egerton, Bolton, Lancashire, BL7 9SN)
The Thomas Egerton (272 Blackburn Rd, Egerton, Bolton BL7 9SR)
Last Drop Gallery (Hospital Rd, Bromley Cross, BL7 9PZ)
The Black Dog Inn (Church St, Belmont, BL7 8AB)

Online Only

Egerton Village postcard

The booklet provides an overview of the history of Egerton, from the seventeenth to twentieth centuries.  It focuses on the lives of the families who gave their names to the area, and the businesses and activities of some of the principal families who contributed to its development.

It contains chapters about the Walmsley, Egerton, Ashworth and Deakin families, and 130 illustrations and old photographs, including rare pictures of Egerton Hall and the Ashworth family, not previously published.

A full list of chapters and illustrations is available on the publication information page.

New book - Egerton - Turton Local History Society

Wednesday, 30 October 2019

Reginald Dart's Town Plan for Turton 1947

In 1947, Turton Urban District Council published "A Town Plan for the Urban District of Turton", which was the work of the Council's Engineer and Surveyor, Reginald Dart.  It had taken him two years to produce, and contained detailed information about the physical structure of the district at the time, including photographs of many buildings and areas of interest. It showcased Dart's vision of what Turton could look like, with a new town centre, complete with civic buildings, cinemas, shops and offices.  In the introduction to the book, Reginald Dart set out his reasons for creating the plan:
'As the dark clouds of war roll away, we enter into an era of building and rebuilding.  It would be a sad thing indeed if we should again become so zealous and engrossed in the task of building mills and worker's dwellings as in any sense to repeat the mistakes of the industrial revolution when our cities and towns were left unregulated to build themselves, and the face of the countryside in what are now industrial areas, become despoiled for generations to come.'

Turton Civic Centre

Dart's plan envisaged the civic centre at the front of Turton High School, on the area which was subsequently used for housing on Bromley Cross Road and Birtenshaw Crescent.  The school can be seen on the right hand side of the picture, one third of the way down, behind the civic buildings.  At the time the plan was drawn up the school was part built, construction having been halted during the war, and being completed in the early 1950s.

Turton's New Civic Centre
Turton's New Civic Centre as proposed in 1946
Drawing by S. Kershaw, plate 84